Most cats groom themselves, but if your cat has long hair or sheds a lot, then you may need to intervene from time to time to help keep your cat’s hair under control. Cats should be brushed regularly and can even be bathed. As cat’s age, there may be more instances where you need to clean your cat. For example, if your cat soils himself while using their litter box, you will likely want to wash your furry friend.
When grooming a cat, keep in mind that cat’s hate water and will do anything to avoid it. Gather everything you need before you begin, and be sure you have cat shampoo, a pitcher to rinse, a towel, and rubber gloves. It’s a good idea to put cotton balls in your cat’s ears to avoid getting water in them. When bathing your cat, do not get water in her face; rather use a damp washcloth to wash her face. Do not submerge your cat in a deep sink of water; rather fill the basin only part way with lukewarm water and work as quickly as possible washing your cat, rinsing your cat then drying your cat with a towel.
Here are some of our favorite cat grooming products based on safety, customer reviews, quality and price.
Cat Shampoo Top Rated by Consumers
This shampoo is specifically formulated for cats and the mild formula is cruelty free, sulfate free and pH balanced for cats. Cleans, softens dry skin, and conditions skin and fur.
Cat Shampoo Runner Up
This cat shampoo helps reduce excess shedding, helps prevent hairballs in cats and is made in the USA with no parabens or chemical dyes. This shampoo is enriched with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, calendula extract and papaya leaf extract.
Cat Brushes Top Rated by Consumers
This is the perfect brush for getting nasty mats out of your pet’s fur. Eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt. The bristles are fine bent wires designed to penetrate deep into the coat without scratching your pet’s skin. Easy to clean with a press of a button. Over 10,000 positive reviews.
Cat Brushes Runner Up
This dematting comb with two sided grooming rake is perfect for cats. Over 3000 positive reviews it can be used for dematting and detangling and deshedding. Features a non-slip silicone gel filled handle that conforms to your hand.
Deshedding Tool Top Rated by Consumers
This professional grade premium built deshedding tool is built with high quality 4-inch stainless steel comb that is built to last and gently to the skin of your cat. Reduces shedding by up to 95%. Features an ergonomic and easy to use non slip rubber handle.Over 2500 – 5 star reviews.
Deshedding Tool Runner Up
Furminator is a standard in deshedding tools for animals. This deshedding tool is specifically designed for cats with long hair. The stainless steel deseeding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat without damaging topcoat or cutting skin when used as directed. Features fur ejector button and ergonomic handle.
Cat Ear Cleaner Top Rated by Consumers
This non-irritating solution prevents microbial action. Use during routine cleansing of sensitive ears. Removes debris and excessive wax and dries the ear canal.
Cat Ear Cleaner Runner Up
- No.1 Best Selling and Effective Solution: Formulated for Cats and Dogs to manage problematic ears; ZYMOX’s patented Formula is safe and Gentle and is a natural alternative to traditional Therapy
- Instantly starts working to clean pet’s ears and rid of build up and debris to help reduce the possibility of irritation
- Easy, Daily, One Step Process to clean problematic ears: No more digging in those painful ears; The natural enzymes found in ZYMOX maximize the cleaning Power of this Product, without traumatic pre cleaning and application
- Easy to Use and Effective: Apply generously to uncleaned ear, filling the ear canal; Gently Massage underneath ear canal so that solution can work its way down and instantly begin cleaning build up that has settled in Your pet’s ear canal; Apply just once a day for 7 days or continue use as needed
- Made in the USA: Proudly American Made in a facility that practices Good Manufacturing Practices; Our Products are Animal Cruelty Free and are never tested on animals; Do Not clean ears before or during use
- For treating inflammation of the external ear caused by bacterial, viral, and yeast infections
- Contains no antibiotics
Cat Toothbrush Top Rated by Consumers
This dental kit is specifically designed for cats; malt flavor includes tooth paste and tooth brush. Helps reduce plaque and tartar. Toothpaste does not foam so no need to rinse.
Cat Toothbrush Runner Up
This oral hygiene kit features a dual ended soft bristle tooth brush that is appropriate for cats. Fingerbrush slips over finger for ease of use. Toothpaste designed to be swallowed.