According to the AVMA, most dogs are considered seniors at age 7, while larger dogs may be considered senior pets as young as age 5 or 6. As pets age, especially into their senior years, they can develop illnesses or issues that prevent them from enjoying the outdoors as they once may have. In addition, many people today include their pet in their outings and for some dogs, it may not be feasible for them to endure a long, exhausting trek with their pet parents.
A dog stroller is an affordable solution suited to elderly dogs, dogs who may be recovering from an injury, paralyzed dogs, sick dogs or dogs with arthritis or hip dysplasia.
In addition, there are people who want to take their pet with them, but for whom a leashed pet is not practical. For instance, people who like to jog or hike may want to take their older dog out with them, but it may not be feasible for an older pet to keep up. Extreme weather conditions, whether it is too hot or too cold, can make a stroller a better option for some pets.
For people with disabilities or older people who may have difficulty getting around, a dog stroller can be a good option because it can provide stability.
A dog stroller may also be a nice option if you have more than one dog; it can be easier to manage multiple dogs if at least one or two are in a stroller.
A dog stroller is also a good option if your dog is easily overwhelmed or fearful of crowded situations. It’s especially helpful if you are unsure of pet policies at various locations you may visit. A stroller is often more accepted than a leashed pet.
If you decide that a dog stroller is appropriate for your senior pet, there are many different models available depending on your situation.
Below are some of the variations that are top rated by most consumers.
Top Rated Pet Travel Stroller for Smaller Dogs
- Large 6″ wheels for easier strolling
- Lightweight, fully assembled and portable, only 9lbs!
- Folds into an ultra-compact size in seconds
- Stroller height to handle, a generous 38″
- For pets up to 15 pounds ; Mesh ventilation
Comes in a variety of colors.
DIMENSIONS: (15” x 20” x 40” Inches). Folded: 32″L x 17″W x 11″H / Stroller: 34″L x 18″W x 40″H / Carriage: 21″L x 14″W x 19″H
- MULTIPLE WINDOWS FOR BREATHABILITY: Storage compartment for pet supplies, treats, and toys
- OPTIONS FOR STORAGE: Convenient cup holder near the handle. Roomy design with large undercarriage. 2 Cup Holders, Seat Belts Leash, Rear Security Brakes, Hooded Peak Top Window, Simple Fold for Easy Handling & Storage on a Daily Use
- QUALITY CERTIFIED: HD Lightweight which Meets GB14748 Stroller Safety Standard and Manufactured under GB/T2161 Production Standard Ventilation Mesh Screen Windows for Keeping Bugs Out, Large Undercarriage Storage Compartment for Pet Supplies, Meds, Toys, Treats Etc
Top Rated Double Pet Stroller
- DIMENSIONS: 31.25”L x 26”W x 38.5”H inches – Holds up to 50 pounds per basket – Our double pet stroller is designed for small dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens, but can be used for other small-sized animals such as a chicken or bunny rabbit
- SAFE PET LUXURY TRANSPORTATION: Utilizes multiple entry points to provide easy access for your dog or cat – You can use it as a crate on wheels to take your pet wherever you go! – Pet strollers for dogs and cats are great for travel, going on walks, jogging, taking your pet to the office, park, veterinarian, and more – Our wide double stroller features safety belt leash clips to keep your pet securely in the stroller at all times
- STROLL ALL YEAR-ROUND: The adjustable canopy can be moved up or down to keep your pet covered and happy – Multiple mesh screens with zippers allow easy access, excellent airflow, temperature control, and protects your little animal from bugs and other pests which makes our double stroller great for all environments & seasons as well as sunny and rainy days alike
- FOLDABLE & DURABLE STROLLER: Conveniently folds flat for easy storage
Top Rated 2-In-1 Pet Stroller
- KEEPS PETS SAFE: Fabric window serves as a bug-screen to keep insects out, and a removable cushion keeps your pet comfortable during the ride
- EASY BRAKE SYSTEM: Keep your pet trailer in place with a convenient, built-in hand-lock brake system
- HITCH TO A BIKE: Stroll down the beach or around the neighborhood with your pet, as a hitch is included to attach the stroller to a bicycle
- LASTING COMPOSITION: Durably crafted with a sturdy, lightweight steel frame and water-resistant polyester to protect your pet from sun and rain
- STAY VISIBLE: Designed with a safety flag and reflectors for pet stroller visibility in traffic and low-light conditions
Top Rated Jogging Pet Stroller
- Easy-locking, no-zip entry
- 600 Denier water-resistant material; top and front mesh windows for ventilation
- 12″ Quick -release tires ride like air won’t go flat!
- One hand easy fold mechanism; ergonomic handle
- Interior dimensions 30″L x 13″W x 22″H; for pets up to 75 pound