According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, small dogs are considered seniors at age 7; larger dogs are considered senior pets at age 5 or 6 years of age. Keeping a senior pet safe in your yard can be a bit more challenging as a pet ages. As cognitive function deteriorates in some pets, so may be there ability to stay within the confines of their yard, without supervision.
Not all senior pets suffer from cognitive dysfunction, but for those that do, they may exhibit some of these symptoms:
- Extreme irritability.
- Decreased desire to play.
- Excessive licking.
- Seeming disregard for previously learned training or house rules.
- Slow to learn new tasks.
- Inability to follow familiar routes.
Canine cognitive dysfunction can be mild or severe; in more severe cases it is comparable to dementia or Alzheimer’s disease in humans. If your pet exhibits the signs of cognitive dysfunction, it is important for you to have your pet evaluated by your veterinarian as soon as possible.
Taking precautions around your home can also help your pet. If your pet seems disoriented or confused, try to keep their bed, toys, food and water in the same place at all times. Don’t move things around much or change his routine.
If your pet normally goes outside on his own, it may be wise to invest in a wireless fence to ensure that he does not wander off your property and get lost.
Ideally, you should monitor your senior pet when he is outside, but if you prefer to let him roam, a wireless fence will help keep him confined to a dedicated area.
We’ve listed some wireless dog fence options that are highly rated by consumers and recommended for elderly pets.
Top Rated Wireless Dog Fence
- 3/4 Acre of Circular Coverage: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (5-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the Portable indoor transmitter
- No Wire to Bury: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- For Stubborn Dogs: The system features a tone-only mode plus 5 levels of adjustable static correction to appropriately match the temperament of even the most persistent pets
- Static-Free Reentry: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- Stubborn Dog Stay & Play Collar: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 pound and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inch
- Simple Set-up: Set up your new wireless fence in just 1-2 hours to give your dog a secure play area
- Portable: Take this compact, Portable fence with you when you and your dog go camping or travel in your RV (outlet required)
No digging wires; simply plug in the transmitter and pair to the receiver. Collar is water resistant which means your dog can get wet in the grass, play with the sprinkler or in the rain without interfering with the mechanism. Collar is rechargeable with a high capacity built in durable battery. Radius is 25-500 meters.
Wireless dog fence system has a radius of 10-1000 feet and a total of 100 levels adjustment. Distance is accurate and can be selected as required. Collar is waterproof and can be safely used in rainy or humid environments. Built-in rechargeable battery doesn’t need to be replaced frequently and is easy to use with long service life. One main unit can be equipped with several receivers to control more than one dog, and each dog separately. For dogs from 10-110 pounds.