Who doesn’t love decluttering sensation Marie Kondo. The Kon-Marie method is Marie’s minimalism-inspired approach to tacking your stuff category-by-category rather than room-by-room. While many people associate her method with tidying, it’s really about discarding items that no longer spark joy or add value to your home or your life.
Marie touts tackling just five categories: clothing, books, papers, miscellaneous items, and sentimental items.
But what should you do with those discarded items, especially your gently used designer clothing, shoes, purses, jewelry and watches? The Elderly Pet Organization is a 501C3 non profit organization that accepts gently used items, like clothing as well as home decor pieces, vintage items, collectibles, electronics and antiques.
If you are into decluttering according to Marie Kondo’s methods, consider donating your unwanted items (we don’t accept books and papers) but we’ll gladly accept clothing, miscellaneous items and sentimental items – to help the Elderly Pet Organization with its mission.
Remember, when donating unwanted items, they should be freshly laundered, clean, and free from damage. The rule of thumb is if it still can be used or worn without embarrassment, then it’s a good candidate to donate.
To learn more about what types of items we accept, read our blog.
Every year the American sends over 1,000 pounds of unwanted items to landfills and/or incinerators. Aside from the fact that landfills and incinerators emit hazardous toxins and greenhouse gases into the environment, destroy wildlife habitats, and pose a major threat to human health, trash is also a waste of the natural resources, energy, water, labor, and money used to produce the discarded materials and items.
The R’s are Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. The reason reduce and reuse come before recycle is if you have unwanted items, rather than just toss it in the trash where it will ultimately wind up in landfills, make a conscious effort to reduce your items and reuse them if possible. Most items, unless they are damaged, can be passed along to someone else who will love it just as much as you did when you received it.
There are a lot of people who want great items like designer clothing, purses, or fabulous home decor items, but they refuse to pay full price for brand new retail items. If you’ve barely used something and it is still in very good, clean, gently used or new condition, the Elderly Pet Organization can sell those unwanted items and give them a new life to someone who is not interested in paying full retail and doesn’t mind that the item was gently loved by someone else.
Adopting a reduce and reuse mentality helps keep unwanted items out of landfills and into the hands of people who will love them a lot lot longer.
Interested in reducing, reusing and recycling your unwanted items? Learn how you can donate them to the Elderly Pet Organization. Click here to learn more.
Donating to a charitable organization like the Elderly Pet Organization is a great way to feel wonderful that you aren’t just throwing away your unwanted items; rather, you are sending them off to an organization that can reuse them for good!
We’re often asked what items are best to donate. We’ve compiled a list of the top ten items to donate to charity.
- Name brand designer clothing & shoes – especially if it is still in style
- Name brand designer handbags – who doesn’t love a new purse
- Fine, fashion or costume jewelry – great accessories go a long way
- Wrist watches – telling time is never out of fashion
- Anything Disney – it’s every kids (and grownups) favorite place on the planet
- Home decor items – changing your colors? Spruce up someone else’s space
- Collectibles – from comics to dolls, the rarer the better
- Electronics – in good working order & if it still can be used
- Vintage items – what’s old is new again
- Antiques – the older the better
Whatever items you choose to donate, be sure they are freshly laundered, clean, free of rips, tears, holes and stains and gently used. For more information about how to support the Elderly Pet Organization and donate unwanted items, click here.
The Elderly Pet Organization recycles gently used and new clothing, shoes, handbags and home decor items and we sell those items to provide information and education about the care and treatment of elderly pets. If you are looking for a great cause that can truly benefit from your unwanted items or decluttering of your home, donate for a cause by sending your items to us.
We truly appreciate your donation of clean, laundered, gently used and new name brand clothing, shoes, handbags, jewelry, home decor items, electronics and vintage or collectible items.
Some of the items we accept for donation:
- Gently used and new designer clothing, shoes and handbags
- Gently used and new fine, fashion and costume jewelry
- Gently used and new watches
- Anything Disney
- Vintage clothing and other vintage items
- Rare or hard to find collectibles
- Home decor items with no damage or visible wear
- Electronics that are in working order
- Pet supplies
- Comics (1980’s or earlier)
- Video games and game consoles
Please don’t send anything too large, heavy or awkward. Individual items should be small enough to fit in a 12″ x 12″ x 12″ box.
Items we cannot accept include:
- Furniture, including outdoor furniture or play equipment
- Riding toys or bicycles
- Large artwork or pictures, or picture frames
- Used drink containers or anything with a straw
- Baby clothes, baby items or gear like strollers, car seats or high chairs
- Used toys and used stuffed animals
- Weapons & explosives
- Hazardous waste
- Construction material
- Flammable products
- Automobile parts
- Mattresses or box springs
Learn more about how to help elderly pets.