According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, cats and small dogs are considered seniors at age 7; large dogs are considered seniors at age 5 or 6. Owners should be careful about many people foods they may feed to their pet, regardless of their age. However, senior pets are even more at risk of serious illness or death from foods that may be toxic to them. It’s not enough to be careful for items in their natural state, it is also extremely important that you not feed your dog or cat anything that CONTAINS any of these items as well. Even a small amount of one of these foods can make your pet very sick.
As a general rule, you should not feed your pet food that is intended for people. If your pet accidentally eats one of these items or something containing one of these items, it is important that you monitor your pet closely for the following symptoms.
Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, high heart rate, tremors, seizures and even death.
Coffee can cause vomiting, diarrhea, hyperactivity, high heart rate, tremors, seizures and even death.
Alcohol can cause vomiting, drunkenness, coma and death.
Avocado can be fatal to birds and rabbits. It can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs.
Macadamia nuts can cause temporary hind leg weakness, paralysis and tremors in dogs.
Grapes / Raisins
Grapes or raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs.
Bread Dough / Raw Yeast
Bread dough or raw yeast can cause bloat and drunkenness.
Candy, Gum & Peanut Butter with Xylitol
Candy, gum and peanut butter that contain Xylitol can cause seizures and liver failure in dogs.
Garlic can cause vomiting and red blood cell damage.
Onions can cause vomiting and red blood cell damage.
It is extremely important that you not feed your pet any of these food items, and it is especially important that you read ingredient labels or check the product for any of the items on this list. Foods like pizza, pasta sauce, gravies, stews, etc. may contain one or more of these ingredients and should not be fed to your pet.
If you think your pet has ingested something toxic, contact your veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435.
With your help, we can keep senior pets out of shelters and place them in loving, caring homes. Your gift can help save senior pets from an uncertain future.
You must be logged in to post a comment.